Two chronically absent Sooke councillors should resign

The absentee rate of 30 per cent for Coun. Ebony Logins and 24 per cent for Coun. Megan McMath, appears to be another sign of a deep malaise in the Sooke municipality.
 
The Sooke News Mirror conducted the analysis of regular and special council meetings between Nov. 5, 2021 and Aug. 30., 2021.
 
Since incorporation in 1999 Sooke has seen seven (7) different CAOs which has not only been disruptive to the providing services but costly to taxpayers.
 
Unfortunately it’s not the only municipality where councillors have commitment issues – the City of Victoria had Coun. Laurel Collins abandon her position after less than a year in office to run as a member of Parliament.
 
The budgets and services of municipal government are very important to everyone in the community and deserve the complete attention of those that sit on council. Taxpayers expect elected officials to care about their community all the time.
 
As there’s no mechanism in local government for the taxpayer to discipline a council – aside from the next municipal election – the two two councillors should consider resigning.
 
READ MORE:

Sooke councillors missing up to 30% of council meetings, Sooke News Mirror, Oct. 14, 2021.

Absentee Victoria councillor should resign

Comedian Woody Allen once said that ‘If 90 percent of success in life is showing up, the other 10 per cent depends on what you’re showing up for,’ something local politicians still haven’t figured out.

It’s unknown how many council and committee meetings Coun. Ben Isitt has missed since elected in 2018. But it is known he’s missed 185 council votes or about 10 per cent since elected, the highest number of any councillor, according to the city council meeting dashboard.

At a particularly important joint meeting of the Victoria-Esquimalt Police Board and Councils on Oct. 19, Coun. Isitt showed up an hour-and-a-half into the meeting by dialling in and announcing, “I’m just downtown heading to another meeting.”

It’s our view that taxpayers expect elected officials to care about their community all the time, particularly at a time of crisis in the police department.

The budgets and services of municipal government are very important to everyone in the community and deserve the complete attention of those that sit on council.

Failure to show up at council meetings is a breach of public trust, disrespectful and demonstrates that maybe it’s time to resign.

One thought on “Absentee councillors should resign”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!